Monday, November 30, 2009

Clatite cu Ciuperci; Salata de Castraveti


[[Or: Crepes with Mushrooms and Cucumber Salad. Namely Smoky Shiitakes from Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz; crepes from the Vegan Yum Yum Blog; and Chilled Cucumber Salad from 1,000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson.]]

I grew up eating crepes; called clatite in Romania, they were one of the most prevalent and beloved foodstuffs of my childhood, rivaled only by gris cu gem (a sort of fine-milled porridge with fruit jam, lovingly decorated by my grandmother with whatever picture or word I requested -- usually the name of a favorite character, say, Shenzi).

Now, I know my crepes. My grandmother knows her crepes. My entire family knows their crepes. We've eaten them with jam or chocolate sauce or mushrooms our entire lives. My grandmother practically raised us on the stuff. Devouring them one after another, rolled up and dripping with sweet goodness is one of my fondest childhood memories.

So you bet I was delighted to make them myself for the first time—and even more delighted to discover they're just as delicious cruelty-free. I made them twice for my family (with my grandmother's clatite-master pouring skills to help) and they loved them. The Smoky Shiitakes are the perfect filling. Liquid Smoke. It's like liquid gold, but better. I don't think I'll ever forget the moment I first tasted these shiitake. I went weak in the knees. Everyone I've since fed them to has had the same reaction. I can't ever seem to make enough, either. Spare yourself the trouble and quadruple the recipe. Even if you're alone. Yarly.

No comments:

Post a Comment